Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (January 2004, week 1)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 5 Jan 2004 16:33:16 -0700
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Jack Hamilton <JackHamilton@FIRSTHEALTH.COM>
Subject:      Re: Odd format behavior and workaround
Comments: To: c-jeff.voeller@MCI.COM

"Jeff Voeller" <c-jeff.voeller@MCI.COM> wrote:

>I strongly agree with you about the utility of "other", especially with >character formats. I hadn't done it in this case because the real program >(obviously I posted only a simplified excerpt) created the format via a >CNTLIN dataset with a numeric START variable. Makes it difficult to append >a final record with 'other' as the value in the same variable!

Not too difficult, but it is a bother.

I've argued for years that it should be possible to use code like this:

===== proc format cntlin=abc other='X'; run; =====

which would cause PROC FORMAT to assign X as the other label for all formats in cntlin.

If you think that would be useful (or have an alternate syntax to suggest), please send mail to <suggest@sas.com>.

-- JackHamilton@FirstHealth.com Manager, Technical Development Metrics Department, First Health West Sacramento, California USA