Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (June 2003, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 18 Jun 2003 09:15:34 -0400
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "L. Bertolini" <bertolini.1@OSU.EDU>
Subject:      Re: JCL and SAS

Yanal,

Job classes and initiators are configured by the systems programmers at your s/390 site; each site tends to be unique. So it's hard for people at other sites to advise you about class A or class G.

Your site has apparently has a policy that aims to discourage long-running, CPU-intensive batch programs from monopolizing the processor. That philosophy is not uncommon. You may find a way to temporarily circumvent the restrictions, but eventually you will be discovered; the loophole will be closed and you'll alienate the systems programmers in the process.

My advice is to try to exploit the multiplatform support of SAS. Get your data from the mainframe, crunch it on the PC, and if necessary, send data back from the PC to the mainframe.

Larry