Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2003, week 2)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 14 Feb 2003 08:21:10 -0800
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Ramesh Makkena <makkena@XOMA.COM>
Subject:      Re: Segmentation Violation error
Comments: To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.VT.EDU

Thanks for Sigurad and Don Tang for your responses. I found an undocumented system option nocodegen in the SAS alert notes release 6.09 :

Alert Notes, The SAS System Release 6.09, ConvexOS Page 2 March 13, 1997

*** If a SAS job attempts to exceed the 512 codestreams, a generic critical error is issued and the data step or proc terminates. The workaround is to restructure the job to run to completion. It may be possible to run portions of it with NOCODEGEN. The error message issued for the case where a job runs out of codestreams has the form:

ERROR: Generic critical error

I looked at the sasonline doc options. The only host option I find related to memory is MEMSIZE option. Rightnow our MEMSIZE has 64M.

Sigurad, Is there any other option related to memory?.

Don's solution is reinstall SAS. Let me try that one too.

Regards, Ramesh Makkena

-----Original Message----- From: Sigurd Hermansen [mailto:HERMANS1@WESTAT.COM] Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2003 7:20 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.VT.EDU Subject: Re: Segmentation Violation error

In my experience, a Segmentation Violation error, much like the MS Windows Blue Screen of Death, means that a program is pointing to a memory location outside memory allocated to that program. Often it means that a process needs more memory than the system can provide.

Sig

-----Original Message----- From: Ramesh Makkena [mailto:makkena@XOMA.COM] Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2003 8:58 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Segmentation Violation error

Hello Folks,

SAS v8.2 , Solaris

I am getting the segmentation violation error when I run the proc report. I get these errors frequently. I could n't find why?.

Has anybody got the following before :

Segmentation Violation In Task ( REPORT ] Fault Occurred at [/usr/local/sas/hotfix/sasexe/saspdpdf:pdf_mark+0xf84]

Task Traceback

/usr/local/sas/hotfix/sasexe/saspdpdf:pdf_mark+0xf84 /usr/local/sas/hotfix/sasexe/saspdpdf:yugtext+0xe4c /usr/local/sas/sasexe/saspso:pdf_spcl+0x77c /usr/local/sas/sasexe/saspso:place_+0x1934 /usr/local/sas/sasexe/saspso:psodoc+0x1c48 /usr/local/sas/sasexe/saspso:psodoc+0x3d38 /usr/local/sas/sasexe/saspso:place_+0x5118 /usr/local/sas/sasexe/saspso:place_+0x3a68 /usr/local/sas/hotfix/sasexe/sasrep7:reptmpl+0x7e8 /usr/local/sas/hotfix/sasexe/sasrep7:reptmpl+0xaf4 /usr/local/sas/sas.82ba62:odstrev+0x404 /usr/local/sas/sas.82ba62:sasoda+0x9cc /usr/local/sas/sas.82ba62:odssm+0x278 /usr/local/sas/sas.82ba62:odsfact+0x2650 /usr/local/sas/hotfix/sasexe/sasrepmn:repmain+0x2cc8 /usr/local/sas/hotfix/sasexe/sasrepor:sasrepor+0x8c /usr/local/sas/sas.82ba62:vvtentr+0x6c NOTE: PROCEDURE REPORT used: real time 0.08 seconds cpu time 0.07 seconds

NOTE: The SAS System stopped processing this step because of errors.

Thanks, Ramesh