Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 5)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Wed, 30 Oct 2002 15:55:15 -0500
Sender:   "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   Howard_Schreier@ITA.DOC.GOV
Subject:   Re: Selecting a brand new computer system

I guess there is a reason why you don't run these large jobs on the server you mention.

Performance depends on a number of things. Certainly the hardware profile is important, but so are the OS (can it use all the memory you have?), the SAS installation and configuration, and the SAS code.

Major re-engineering, and introduction of hand-coded processes a la Dorfman, often pays off, but sometimes there is low-hanging fruit in the form of relatively simple tweaks which reduce bottlenecks. It's worth a look. After all, replacement hardware may cut your 7-hour job to 2 hours. But some performance tuning of the code might do the same.