Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Mon, 24 Jun 2002 16:50:16 -0400
Sender:   "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   "Fehd, Ronald J." <rjf2@CDC.GOV>
Subject:   Re: Using a var value in a subsequent data step
Comments:   cc: JSD <jsdavid1@HOTMAIL.COM>

> From: David L. Ward [mailto:dward@SASHELP.COM] has also provided an SQL solution which like Jack's skips over your MEANS procedure. and leaves you with "Too many notes!" and spaces around MAXLEN

> From: Shoemaker, Jack [mailto:shoe@THOTWAVE.COM] > You really want that length stashed in a macro variable. > proc sql; > reset noprint; > select max( overall_length ) into :MAXLEN > from formatting > ; > quit;

insert the following three statements: %PUT MAXLEN<&MAXLEN.>; %LET MAXLEN = &MAXLEN.; %PUT MAXLEN<&MAXLEN.>;

data mydata; set in; length my_var $&MAXLEN.;

Uh, Jack, David, <tsk, tsk> "Not enough notes!" nor dots after the format name.. .....................^^ snake eyes!

Ron Fehd the format-name and macro maven CDC Atlanta GA USA RJF2@cdc.gov

remember perspective: the error is not always where it seems to occur! -- RJF2

remember perspective: the format name delimiter is not always where it seems to occur! -- RJF2