Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002)Back to main GABO-L pageJoin or leave GABO-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 2 Jun 2002 19:48:22 -0400
Sender:       Georgia Birders Online <GABO-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Tim Rose <durc@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Re: CONNECTICUT WARBLER: Reflections and an Apology

This is a delayed response, but I want to thank Mark Davis for his posting of 5/22 about the tape recording and the Connecticut Warbler. I can't say I haven't used tapes to try to attract birds (I have never used them successfully, does that count? O:) ), but I have asked myself, does the desire to see a bird justify putting the added stress and confusion of an invisible rival into his already challenging life? Mark's post put me over the edge and I think I will forego that practice in the future. I would apologize to the Saw Whet Owls along Burrell's Ford Road but they didn't show up so to heck with them. :) I do apologize to the nesting Chuck Will's Widow in the campground area at Skidaway Island State Park - the first couple of times I flushed it by accident but that last time was pure ornithological greed. A nesting bird doesn't need that stress.

This year, I heard a Connecticut Warbler. Lifer! When the time is right I'll get it off the "heard only" list, by being in the right place at the right time, not by distorting its behavior - which is not entirely unlike destroying its habitat.

To me the true way to get to know wild birds and animals is to observe them in their natural context, within their natural rhythms and behavioral parameters. If they're hard to see, then not-seeing them is a big part of the experience of that species' behavior (see Black Rail) (or... not-see Black Rail).

Thanks, Mark.

Tim Rose

(The preceding was a personal viewpoint and not intended to assign guilt to anyone who chooses to use recorded songs.)