Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 1)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 6 May 2002 07:28:43 -0700
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Don Muldoon <dmuldoon@VERIDIEM.COM>
Subject:      Sharing models, PMML, XML, what's the story?

Hello,

I'm investigating how analysts/modelers "share" models. How does one export a SAS model? How does one import a SAS model? Is it simply a matter of sharing source code and data sets and re-running the model? I've read a bit about XML and PMML but the documentation for SAS 8.2 says the support for these markup languages is "experimental". When I look at the a model (the output of a SAS program) I see things like coefficients and intercepts but the transformations are in the source code. So, how does one get the entire picture?

I've also been looking at how the same tasks (sharing/importing/exporting) are dealt with in SPSS and S-PLUS. SPSS seems to have embraced PMML and even helped in the specification.

Bottom line: PMML seems to be the evolving standard for sharing certain kinds of models but are the big statistical packages offering full PMML import/export support? I can't find a definitive answer.

Anyone care to weigh in?

Thank you,

Don Muldoon Veridiem Inc.