Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2002)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Wed, 3 Apr 2002 22:30:42 +0100
Sender:   "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   "R. Allan Reese" <R.A.Reese@gri.hull.ac.uk>
Subject:   Re: Duplicate question
Comments:   To: Hector Maletta <hmaletta@fibertel.com.ar>

Just to add a grace note to Hector's response, it is sensible to SORT thecases as a duplicate ID is possibly a mistyping so will be in the wrong order. I have just used such an idea to add jitter to make colocated points visible on a scatterplot. Only the "duplicate" points need be moved:

sort cases by x y. compute dup= (x eq lag(x)) and (y eq lag(y)). compute jit= uniform(1)-0.5. compute xj= x + dup*jit. compute yj= y - dup*jit.

(BTW: I didn't paste this syntax, so apologies for any typos.)

R. Allan Reese Email: r.a.reese@gri.hull.ac.uk