Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (March 2002, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 19 Mar 2002 17:50:04 +0100
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Peter Crawford <peter.crawford@DB.COM>
Subject:      Re: Picture format,
              is it possible to put numeric character in the message part.
Comments: To: "Huang, Ya" <ya.huang@PFIZER.COM>

Hi Ya Huang

I don't know the limits of ps fonts, but it might be worth investigating the ps language to discover whether you can "pass-thru" the superscript in some other way that does not involve number characters. If the superscript 2 is available as another character of the symbol set, find it by trial-and-error, printing out a charset (code to generate this is available in sas-l archives) or even (last resort) read the documentation. ;-)

As designed, even in v8 there is no directive for picture strings that allows the "noedit" option to be applied to only part of the picture. The sophistication of the datetime directives for picture formats provide a design model which might be extended, if the right people at SI can be influenced....

The current problem is that a number in the picture string is considered a "digit selector"... Extract from onlinedoc Pictures are specified with three types of characters: digit selectors, message characters, and directives. Digit selectors are numeric characters (0 through 9) that define positions for numeric values.

In your proposal, the 2(for square) is treated as a digit selector If you want different behaviour, you'll have to "influence" SI...

good luck Peter