Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 5)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 30 Nov 2001 11:39:09 -0500
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Kevin Brunson <kbrunson@ND.EDU>
Subject:      win2000 server running disconnected from the desktop

Let me briefly describe the process: User starts a CONNECT session on their local PC to a server via TCP/IP. Next, two remote parallel processes execute on the server. After they finish more SAS appending and sorting code executes on the server. I can post sample code if this description is too vague.

We learned that 1) if the internet connection is broken (we simply unplugged the ethernet cable) the entire server program completes normally.

2) if the user quits their local SAS session, the server process terminates after the last remote rsubmit finishes. That is, the appending and sorting aren't performed (the output from the remote processes is correct and saved).

The question: For jobs that require many hours we want the user to have the opportunity to logoff from Windows and not kill the server process--think of UNIX background processing. Is it possible in SAS on WIN2000 to "trick" the server and disconnect without logging off? Available options are unpleasant to recommend to every professor who might use the system: unplug the ethernet cable, power down without shutting down, or End Task in Task Manager.

-- ----------------------------------------------------------- Kevin Brunson, Research Analyst 219-631-9448 314 Mendoza College of Business FAX 219-631-5255 Notre Dame, Indiana 46556 -----------------------------------------------------------