Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2001)Back to main GABO-L pageJoin or leave GABO-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 5 Sep 2001 22:05:56 -0400
Sender:       Georgia Birders Online <GABO-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Thomas A. Striker" <tstriker@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Re: ID
Comments: To: John Champion <jchampion@MINDSPRING.COM>

John - these were probably Common Nighthawks. They have been migrating in small to medium-sized groups for the last few weeks. I've seen several groups in the early evening lately over Dunwoody, and saw a few tonite.

The most dramatic Nighthawk migration I've ever seen was in the mid 70's along the north shore of Lake Superior, along Highway 1 which follows the shoreline. An evening drive in late August was made very special by the appearance of thousands of nighthawks, singly and in groups of up to 50, moving gracefully southwestward along the lake, and right over the highway.

I used to see nighthawks in town in Illinois and Wisconsin, on feeding flights every evening. Here in Atlanta, I see them only in the spring and fall, and look forward to the fall migration.

Tom Striker Dunwoody, GA tstriker@bellsouth.net