Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2001, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Wed, 25 Jul 2001 10:00:30 -0400
Sender:   "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   Gerhard Hellriegel <ghellrieg@T-ONLINE.DE>
Subject:   Re: Can data be read directly from a CD?

On Wed, 25 Jul 2001 08:42:46 -0500, Aldi Kraja <aldi@WUBIOS.WUSTL.EDU> wrote:

>Good morning, > >Is there a way to read data provided in ASCII format from a CD? Or >better is there a way SAS will recognize a CD as a storage place from >where can be retrieved information? I am asking this question, because >each CD has about 0.7 GB data, and I want to transfer data directly in >SAS format into the hard drive of the system. My concern is if I am >going to damage the CDs if I try the regular way of reading data with >FILENAME sample "F:\data1.kot"; and INFILE sample ...? >TIA, >Aldi > >--

Try it out! There is no doubt about that: it will work! There is no way to destroy a CD by reading it! Even a CD burner cannot overwrite data on a CD-ROM! If you use a CD-ROM drive, there is no way to destroy the CD, except by a physical damage! I once read, that the very fast CD-ROM drives might destroy CDs if the material is bad, especially those not-circular CDs which you can get sometimes, but that seems to be very exotic...