Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2001, week 1)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 7 Jun 2001 09:34:59 -0400
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Howard Schreier <howard_schreier@ITA.DOC.GOV>
Subject:      Re: Macro date question

There are a couple of issues here.

First, as Ron has already shown, CALL SYMPUT, rather than %LET, is the way to create a macro variable during execution of a DATA step.

Second, SAS dates are numeric, whereas macrovariables are character. So it can't be done.

But one can create a macrovariable containing the string value representing a date constant. This can be used in a DATA step in any context where a numeric expression is appropriate.

Example ...

First create the pre-existing macrovariable containing a date in mm/dd/yy notation:

%let start=06/07/2001;

Now convert it:

data _null_; call symput('start1', quote(put(input("&START",mmddyy10.),date9.))||'d' ); run;

The expression used as the second argument to CALL SYMPUT first uses the INPUT function to convert the value to a numeric SAS date, the uses the PUT function to convert that back to a character value (07JUN2001), then wraps that in quotes and appends the letter "d", which conforms to the notational convention for a date constant. So the macrovariable START1 is created with the value

"07JUN2001"d

Now demonstrate use:

data _null_; nextday = &START1 + 1; put 'Next day is ' nextday weekdate.; run;

This just advances the date by one and prints it in the log. Result:

Next day is Friday, June 8, 2001

The log does *not* have a message about type conversion, because both operands in the addition are numeric.