Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Tue, 22 May 2001 14:30:26 -0400
Sender:   "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   "Fehd, Ronald J." <rjf2@CDC.GOV>
Subject:   Re: array indexed by CharVar was: SUGI 26 Summary

> From: David L. Cassell [mailto:Cassell.David@EPAMAIL.EPA.GOV] > > Jack Hamilton wrote in his summary: > > > It's possible that we may get some form of associative > arrays (keyed by string rather than by a > > numeric index) in a future version of SAS, but no details > were given. > > YESSSSS!!!! Okay, so only Paul Dorfman and I asked for it... :-)

coincidentally, I worked up a routine last week that kludged a invalue to do just this.

wanting ArrayName(CharVar) = ...; I created an invalue I from a PROC FREQ of CharVar and ended up with: ArrayName(input(CharVar,I.)) = ...;

what I do when TRANSPOSE won't work for me!

details next week after I finish my SESUG/SSU paper.

Ron Fehd the macro maven CDC Atlanta GA USA RJF2@cdc.gov OpSys: WinNT Ver: 8.1 ---> cheerful provider of TESTED SAS code!*! <--- If you always try to be logical, you probably won't ever have much sorrow, or much fun. -- Ashleigh Brilliant pot-shot #4438