Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2001, week 2)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 May 2001 11:15:33 -0500
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Anthony Kilili <Anthony.Kilili@BMGDIRECT.COM>
Subject:      Re: does the file exist?

Yes, I'm looking for data sets and yes, generation control of data sets is available in V8 using the gennum= option. Since I have lots of data sets to look for at various parts of the program, I will modify Pete Lund's solution by 'macrotizing' the generation number, something like: %let gen=010; %if %sysfunc(exist(lib.myfile#&gen)) %then %do; *other stuff here..... %end; Thanks for all the replies..

Anthony Ps: my spell check claims 'macrotizing' is not an English word and suggests I use 'mercerizing'!! -----Original Message----- From: DavidJohnson@halifax.co.uk [mailto:DavidJohnson@halifax.co.uk] Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2001 10:44 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU; Anthony.Kilili@BMGDIRECT.COM Subject: RE: does the file exist?

Anthony's original post is below:

SAS-L Digest - 10 May 2001 - Special issue (#2001-581)

The Exist() SCL function is for data sets, not files. The file function is either FExist() for a file reference, or FileExist() for a Physical file name. (It is an SCL function you have embedded within the SysFunc() call.)

In any case, 'gennum' is unfamiliar syntax. Is generation control of data sets available in Version 8? My only experience of generations is on OS390 where LIB.MYFILE(10) would refer to the tenth generation of a Generation Data Group modelled in LIB.MYFILE, and catalogued to DMS as LIB.MYFILE.G0010V00.

Using FileExist on LIB.MYFILE(10) would fail, because the physical file name as known to DMS (LIB.MYFILE.G0010V00) would be required as the correct SCL parameter.

Does this assist?

Kind regards

** ##*

David Johnson sasuser@dkvj-cons.com http://www.dkvj-cons.com This message is attributable to the sender and does not necessarily reflect the view of Halifax Group plc or its subsidiaries.

Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 10:14:10 -0500 From: Anthony Kilili <Anthony.Kilili@BMGDIRECT.COM> Subject: does the file exist?

I'm trying to verify the existence of a file of a certain generation using:

%let check=%sysfunc(exist(lib.myfile(gennum=10))); %put check=&check;

this is returning 0 even though the file does exist. seems that the gennum thing does not work...any alternatives?

Anthony

---------------------------------------------------------------------------- -- Part of the Halifax Group, Halifax plc, Registered in England No. 2367076. Registered Office: Trinity Road, Halifax, West Yorkshire HX1 2RG. Represents only the Halifax Financial Services Marketing Group for the purposes of advising on and selling life assurance, pensions and unit trust business. The Marketing Group is regulated by the Personal Investment Authority. Switchboard 01422 333333.