LISTSERV at the University of Georgia
Menubar Imagemap
Home Browse Manage Request Manuals Register
Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (January 2001, week 2)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 9 Jan 2001 15:07:24 -0500
Reply-To:     "David L. Ward" <dward@SASHELP.COM>
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "David L. Ward" <dward@SASHELP.COM>
Subject:      Re: David Ward
Comments: cc:
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

As per the questions about or, The server was down part of yesterday and last night. Some of you might be interested in the story...

My server runs Win NT, ActivePerl, and Apache (among other things), with SAS Server Pages ( and Apache running as a service. I decided to upgrade to the newest versions of both Perl and Apache, for various reasons. Apache worked flawlessly, and added some new functionality to my server. Perl, on the other hand, caused havoc. It seems that after I installed the new version of Perl (ActivePerl 5.6) that I was no longer able to run SSP. After enough users requested a page, there was an internal fault loading a WinNT dll that occurred with each page load and caused the Perl script to time out. I tried fixing it all week, but finally decided to rebuild the server, which meant I needed to physically relocate it for an evening, and work on it most of the night.

The moral of my story is two-fold: Be careful of free software and make sure you have a good reason to and are informed about upgrading software.

If anyone experiences errors or problems with any of the websites just let me know. Thanks!

David Ward ---------------------------- President InterNext, Inc. ----------------------------

Back to: Top of message | Previous page | Main SAS-L page