Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2000, week 1)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 3 Nov 2000 14:09:41 -0800
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         kmself@IX.NETCOM.COM
Subject:      Re: implied RETURN

on Fri, Nov 03, 2000 at 09:05:09PM +0000, Paul Dorfman (paul_dorfman@hotmail.com) wrote: > >_N_ equals zero *prior* to the first iteration of the data step loop. > > Karsten, > > I *guess* that prior to... _n_ is rather missing, or, most probably, just > compgarbage. Which does not really matter, for the next internal counter > value gets *moved* into _n_ by the first internal instruction in each > iteration.

Getting fuzzy-headed in my old age. Yeah, what I said didn't make sense.

Jack Hamilton's probably to blame for me picking up the '_n_ eq 0' idiom, as I worked under him for a while.

Certain SAS statements, principally SET and OUPUT, have both executable and non-executable components. The non-executable component is the initialization of the program data vector, and of output datasets. This initialization occurs so long as the statement is in non-commented code, whether or not the statement is actually reachable in data step operation.

As noted, the construct 'if _n_ eq 0 then' syntax is equivalent to 'if FALSE_CONDITION do' -- the conditional code is never executed. However, a SET, MERGE, UPDATE, OUTPUT, or similar statement will be initialized.

Jack, back to you.

-- Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com> http://www.netcom.com/~kmself Evangelist, Zelerate, Inc. http://www.zelerate.org What part of "Gestalt" don't you understand? There is no K5 cabal http://gestalt-system.sourceforge.net/ http://www.kuro5hin.org

[application/pgp-signature]