Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2000)Back to main GABO-L pageJoin or leave GABO-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 1 Oct 2000 16:53:20 -0400
Sender:       Georgia Birders Online <GABO-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Marion M. Dobbs" <marion@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Rest of message (Re:      [GABO-L] Pine Log & other WMA's)

I apologize for sending a garbled and incomplete message - somehow hit the send rather than the paste button. Here's the entire quote from TWW's web site: "Teaming with Wildlife (TWW) is a national campaign to prevent species from becoming endangered and to nurture a new generation of wildlife stewards by securing funding for state-level nongame wildlife conservation and related education and recreation programs. (Click here for more details.) A coalition of over 3,000 organizations and businesses support the need for such funding by officially endorsing Teaming with Wildlife.

TWW originally proposed to fund these goals by extending the existing user fee on hunting and fishing gear to additional outdoor gear used by birders, hikers and other outdoor enthusiasts. After many years of building support for this funding, Congress recently responded to the TWW coalition's call for action by introducing legislation in October 1998 to meet the goals of TWW though with a different funding source.

Known as the Conservation and Reinvestment Act (CARA), this legislation would dedicate a portion of federal income from offshore oil and natural gas leases for a variety of purposes, including the goals of TWW (See Conservation and Reinvestment Act). CARA enjoys strong bipartisan support in the House and Senate and offers a tax-free funding alternative to the original TWW proposal. According to a statement issued by the Teaming with Wildlife National Steering Committee, "While TWW's original vision of user-fee funding for conservation remains alive, the new proposals currently appear to offer a more viable funding option." The steering committee is committed to strengthening this legislation and seeing it through Congress so TWW can get to work on the ground and reverse the alarming declines in our nation's wildlife."

And in a very roundabout way, I get to my bottom line, which is a plea to all to follow the suggestions of EJ Williams and contact your congressional representatives urging them to support passage of CARA. Then we will have made and effort to pay our own way.

I can provide e-mail and fax numbers for Max Cleland, Zell Miller, Trent Lott, and Tom Daschle if anyone needs them.

Marion M. Dobbs Rome GA marion@mindspring.com