Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2000, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Sun, 24 Sep 2000 23:53:51 GMT
Sender:   "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   charles_s_patridge@MY-DEJA.COM
Subject:   $50 for working SQL Solution to a problem

$50 for working SQL Solution to a problem

OK SAS-Lers,

I am looking for a solution to a problem for which I do not have the time to develop.

I have a CSV file located on my web site (http://www.sasconsig.com/ctzipcode.csv) which you should be able to open using Excel and then download. If you are unable to do this, I will email you this file (22Kb in size).

The columns and variable attributes in this file are zipcode $ 5. , cityname $ 30., statcode $ 2. , countyna $ 30. , areacode 3. , laditude 8.4, longtude 8.4

and represent only the zipcodes within the state of Connecticut as a sample.

The problem is this:

1. Develop an SQL macro (GETZIPS) which will take two parameters (zipcode - macro name = FINDZIP, number of miles radius - macro name = XMILES).

2. Assume the CSV file (ctzipcode) is already a SAS dataset called ZIPCODE in a library called TABLES.

3. I would like the SQL macro to return a table (GOTZIPS = SAS datatset of zipcodes only) which include all the zipcodes that are within X number of mile(s) radius from the zipcode entered as the first parameter of GETZIPS.

Sample call to GETZIPS would look like this:

%GETZIPS( FINDZIP="06013", XMILES=25);

/*** which would return all zipcodes within the ZIPCODE dataset that are within 25 mile radius (north, south, east, west, etc) of the zipcode = "06013", including the zipcode "06013".

The SQL solution must work in SAS version 6.12, so no long variable names.

The most efficient and readable solution will be the one I choose. This is not a contest and I will pay the $50.00 to the one solution I choose. I need the solution by 9/31/2000 so any submissions after this will not be considered. Send your solution to my email address listed below.

Mail a $50.00 check: Yes/No

Emoneymail $50.00 to you: Yes/No

so I can email you the $50 via emoneymail.com. You will be able to select how you want the $50.00 delivered to you (by check, deposited into your checking account or credited to your VISA account) by going to http://www.emoneymail.com when you receive a notice that payment is waiting for you.

Just let me know which method of payment you prefer.

Sincerely,

Charles Patridge PDPC, Ltd. 172 Monce Road Burlington, CT 06013 Phone: 860-673-9278 or 860-675-9026 Email: Charles_S_Patridge@prodigy.net Web: http://www.sasconsig.com

-- Charles Patridge - PDPC, Ltd. 172 Monce Road - Burlington, CT 06013 USA Phone: 860-673-9278 or 860-675-9026 Email: Charles_S_Patridge@prodigy.net - Web: www.sasconsig.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/ Before you buy.