Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (February 2000, week 1)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 1 Feb 2000 07:23:45 GMT
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Victor Aina <aina@SFU.CA>
Subject:      Help: Computing standard deviation and means

Hello everyone:

I have 20 variables (say x1 x2 x3 ... x20) and 80,000 (eighty thousand) observations. Now, I need to compute the mean and standard deviation of each observation. In other words, I want to compute these statistics for each row. NOT for each variable-- PROC MEANS would do that.

I've written a code in PROC IML that works fine but for only 10 variables. When I include anything more than 10 variables SAS chokes; complaining of lack of sufficient memory.

Is there a simple way to avoid PROC IML and its huge demand for memory and yet get the mean and std deviation computed for each of the 80,000 observations?

Thanks for all pointers.

Victor.

--