Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2000, week 2)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 Jan 2000 17:59:47 -0700
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Jack Hamilton <JackHamilton@FIRSTHEALTH.COM>
Subject:      Re: filenames on WinNT
Comments: To: lpogoda@HOME.NOSPAM.COM

"Lou Pogoda" <lpogoda@HOME.NOSPAM.COM> wrote:

>DOS may be "stupid" but it's not quite that stupid. DOS will handle long >file names, names with embedded spaces, etc. IF the file names are quoted. >They'll show up in that tilde (~) format when you issue a DIR command in a >DOS window, but if you look at the filename in explorer, the real, long file >name is there.

If I go to a DOS window under NT and issue the DIR command, I will see the long filename:

C:\temp2>dir shock*.* Volume in drive C is C Volume Serial Number is 1164-1503

Directory of C:\temp2

23/12/99 10:29a 386,275 shockwaveinstaller.exe 1 File(s) 386,275 bytes

If I issue the command DIR /X I will see both the long and the short filename:

C:\temp2>dir /x shock*.* Volume in drive C is C Volume Serial Number is 1164-1503

Directory of C:\temp2

23/12/99 10:29a 386,275 SHOCKW~1.EXE shockwaveinstaller.exe 1 File(s) 386,275 bytes

It appears that DOS running in an window (which is the only way to get to DOS under NT) knows about long file names. Perhaps it doesn't under Win95.

My puzzle of the moment is why dates are showing up as dd/mm/yy instead of mm/dd/yy or yy/mm/dd. Does Windows think I'm in another country? If so, why?

-- JackHamilton@FirstHealth.com Development Manager, Technical Group METRICS Department, First Health West Sacramento, California USA